Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

April Meal Plan

April Meals

After being all over the diet map since January, we have finally found an eating style we can live with forever. We are not gluten-free, we are not carb-free, we are not dairy-free, we are Mediterranean.

In a nutshell, this is what we started doing the middle of March and it has been wonderful. Mike and I are losing weight, the kids are getting plenty of good nutrition, everyone feels well, and we are enjoying it. When we want to eat something off the plan, we do, but just a little and just once in a while. The boys more often, but usually just for their snacks. We all eat the same dinners and they all like them, so that's the best thing.

The Mediterranean Diet Plan is basically: lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains and legumes,
                                                              some dairy and nuts and olive oil,
                                                              a little meat, mostly poultry and fish, and lean cuts of pork or beef

Generally Mike and I eat whole grains for breakfast and fruits. Somedays we make veggie omelets with a little cheese also. Occasionally I'll have a fruit and yogurt smoothie. I have herb tea every morning and fill up a 32 oz. water bottle which I usually finish before the afternoon is over, and then I drink a couple of glasses of water with dinner, and that keeps me well also.
     
For lunch I make Mike a big salad for lunch with a little nitrate free meat or beans and lots of veggies. I usually have the same for my lunch.  Sometimes I'll sprinkle a little blue cheese crumbles or goat cheese on top. We also like celery with PB2 on it. Do you love that stuff? All the great peanut butter flavor with only 1.5 g of fat! Some fresh fruit is often eaten also.

Sometimes I'll make soups with grains and veggies and a little meat or cook a whole grain and add lots of veggies and salsa to that. Really, whatever the Lord made I'm good with. That's pretty much with how this eating plan works.

I also found some snacks that are store-bought that I like too. The Cliff Bars I've found, regular and Ultra, use whole grains, no processed sugar, and have some great flavors and are packed with protein, so if I'm craving something for dessert in the middle of the day and feeling like I need a good energy boost, those will do the job. I've only had them a couple of times but I'm open to looking for healthy-er snacks. Beats Oreos and Nachos. Everyone has to find what works for them, and apparently eating every 3 hours works for me. Basically I eat at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 6:30pm and I feel more energetic. I have exercised a little, and I need to do more, but all this eating healthy and drinking plenty makes me want to keep improving. We took a couple of good walks/hikes last week over Spring Break. Its just so much more fun in nature than on the treadmill. Now that the weather's getting warmer (hopefully less windy soon) I hope to spend more time out enjoying it all. And just for the record, I believe Sunday dessert just makes that day all the more special. :-)

                                                           
Tues. 1 Tilapia, Roasted Asparagus, Greek Salad, and Apples
Wed. 2  Chicken Tortilla Soup, Banana Pineapple Salad, Cucumbers and Carrots
Thur. 3  Chicken Parmesan, Green Salad, Italian Zucchini, Whole Wheat Rolls, and Cinnamon Apples
Fri. 4  7 Layer Dip with Hamburger Crumbles, Vegetable Dippers, Green Salad
Sat. 5  Tuna Wraps with Lettuce and Tomato, Guacamole with Crudites and Apple Slices
Sun. 6  Roast Turkey, Lemony Green Beans, Two-Potato Casserole and Red Green Salad
Mon. 7  Green Chile Mock Enchilada Casserole with Blueberry Pecan Green Salad
Tues. 8  Shrimp Creole with Israeli Couscous and Roasted Asparagus
Wed. 9 Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, Spinach Salad with Mandarin Oranges and Almonds
Thur. 10 Pork Tenderloin, Spicy Coleslaw, Stuffed Mushrooms
Fri. 11  Spinach Artichoke Healthy Dip, Crudites, Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Onion and Mushroom Slaw
Sat. 12  Turkey Lettuce Wraps with peanuts and  Brown Rice and orange wedges
Sun. 13 Date Bars for dessert
Mon. 14  Chicken Fajita Salad
Tues. 15  Shrimp, Zucchini Boats, Mushroom Barley Risotto
Wed. 16  3 Bean Chili, Green Salad, Strawberry Smoothies
Thur. 17  Italian Broccoli Cheese Bake, Green Salad, Pan Roasted Red Potatoes
Fri. 18  Eleven Layer Salad, (Spinach, Lettuce, Bacon, Green Onion, Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese, Peas, Chicken, Avocado, Dressing, Hard-Boiled Egg,) and Strawberries
Sat. 19  Hamburger Wrap Sliders, Spinach Mushroom Salad, Pears
Sun. 20 Nitrate free Ham, Deviled Eggs, Branson Potato Casserole, Green Beans, Vegetable Platter and Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes for dessert
Mon. 21 Chili Cheese Bites, Green Salad, Peaches
Tues. 22 Mahi Mahi, Cannelini Bean Salad, Broccoli
Wed. 23 Sausage Kale Potato Soup and Greek Salad
Thur. 24  Salmon Patties, Red Pepper Hummus, Celery, Carrots, Olives, Green Bean Salad, Peaches
Fri. 25 Chicken Cashew Stir-Fry (cabbage, scallions, carrots, broccoli,) with Brown Rice and Strawberries
Sat. 26 Chicken Artichoke Tomato Orzo, Green Salad
Sun. 27 Sirloin Steak Bites, Italian Zucchini, Blueberry Pecan Green Salad, Roasted Cauliflower
Mon. 28 Turkey Tacos in Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Tues. 29  Orange Roughy, Spinach Salad with Manadarin Oranges and Almonds, Roasted Broccoli
Wed. 30 Carrot Soup, Beef Gyro Wraps, Blueberry Smoothies

No comments: