Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Blue and Brown Quilt

The top is done! Yeah!!!
This is for MyGirl's birthday coming up in over a month. I should be able to get this all finished by then.
However, since its Spring Break and everyone's home, I probably will have less time.
Littlebuddy told me a break meant "not to add to much stuff to the schedule. We need to relax."
I, on the other hand, so happy to have everyone all together, want to plan fun activities every day. 
So this is how much fun we're having. Haha

Sunday night at dinner I told them to all think of two fun things they wanted to do this week and we'd meet again at 8pm to finalize ideas and figure out when it would work best. I told them to keep their two to under $100.

I reasoned its much cheaper to spend $300 over Spring break than fly faraway, book a hotel, rent a car and pay that much for one major attraction you know? Plus eating out all the time.
But apparently my children are even cheaper than I am. Wow!?!

Littlebuddy's idea - Go to Costco and have free samples.
(Okay, well that did cost me near $300 but its the only time I'm going for the next month, and groceries weren't part of the spring break budget.)
Seriously, he thinks that's FUN?????
Yes, he explained he misses all the samples while he's at school and feels like he's getting gypped. Plus it gave him more time to hang out at home and do nothing, (i.e. play with this electronics.)
Until. . . . he found out each day has a 1 hr. time limit on electronics. And I was encouraging at least a half  hour and perhaps more of Scouting a day. Yeah, I'm the mean mom.
Other than that, he didn't really have any plans.

BigBuddy wanted to go to a lake about an hour away in the mountains, do some hiking and take a picnic.
Okay, just the cost of gas. 
And go to the movies. Cheapest on Tuesdays between 4-5:30 so we're going tonight. Lake tomorrow. Not too expensive, but things everyone likes to do, so kudos to my boy who knows how to have fun.

MyGirl wants to go to a park. 
That's it?
Okay, then she said she wanted to window shop too.
Eye rolls from her brothers.
But, when I suggested downtown Castle Rock, a place we haven't visited too much, they were game.
Again, spending not more than probably treats for the boys.

So, yeah, I've raised frugal children. 

And when I suggested going to the library to see the quilt display and perhaps check out free movies and feed the ducks, I was met with - are you kidding? However I'm still going this week. If you've seen my Pinterest board you know I LOVE looking at people's homemade quilts. I am so inspired by the creativity in others and hoping to push myself more this year to make harder patterns and improve my skills.

Then they came up with the idea of going to the local school down the street and playing basketball, which they did yesterday for almost two hours and had a great time. Which proves one of my points. My children may be frugal but they know that being together is really the most fun of all.

Happy Spring Break everyone! Whenever you get your break, may you all enjoy your time together. 






No comments: