Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

USA Sign and the Colors of Summer

A little after Memorial Day I decided I needed something on the front door and yet I didn't want to spend a lot of money or time. So, I shopped my craft cupboard and found all I needed was some red and blue paint and the letters U and A. When I moved I threw out all my old craft acrylic paints,( several over 20 years old when tole painting was the rage) and have only bought four or five since we moved here, so I added two more. I found the S and I thought buying the other two letters in two different fonts in different sizes would work to give it a little interest and not make this very simple project completely dull. I had the leftover bandana prints leftover when I shorted the long banner into one that now fits nicely on the mantle. They wrapped easily around the grey coat hangar I found in my closet. The stars I have on my downstairs hanging tree. I don't remember where I got them - I think Ikea or Pier One but I have enough to share here. The board itself was made to be a piece of shelf I got at Ollies in Maryland several years ago for $2 and knew I'd find the right place for it someday. Its covered in burlap which was leftover from another project. I walked down the street to ask my dear dad to drill holes in the board for me when Mike was at work, and Voila~! Easy, simple, and yet makes a clear statement that we are a patriotic family. I'll keep it up until after the 4th when I'll replace it with my sunflower wreath. 

 Here is the view from the sidewalk. I like how visible and simple it is to read from a distance.
 My day lilies are up and about to explode in color. Can't wait!
 I stuck some small flags into the pink flowers. These aren't my favorite flower, but they sure grow well here, so I often get them. Wondering why I didn't get red or white flowers to match my USA sign? I like color. Lots of it, all of it, and the more variety the better. The front ground cover has beautiful purple flowers that are just starting to fade. They've been in bloom since April. The tulips in all their reds, yellows, and oranges were up in May in front of the bushes. Colorful flowers make my day!
 These chyrsanthemums should be in bloom as these all begin to fade in September, coming up in dark red and I think the small one is a pink melon color.  Yeah for Summer, and its bounty of beauty!

No comments: