Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Halloween Star Quilt

Even though its not done, I thought you'd want to see it, since I did complete most of it in October.
The top was done on Oct. 9 so I've kept it on the large sofa all month to remind myself to keep working on it and so I could enjoy it for the rest of the month.

I saw a quilt similar to this on Pinterest, but it was much larger and had a green six inch border and all the quilting was done on a diagonal, so I give them credit for the original idea of using black background and sawtooth stars. Their black stars had olive green backgrounds, and it was all pretty mellow. I wanted to take that idea and make it say FUN!
So, with fabrics from my stash and only one fat quarter purchased after I recreated the pattern I wanted, I was off. Total size is 56 x 69 inches. Using 10 inch sawtooth stars, I've combined a mixture of solids and patterned fabrics on a black background with three yellow backgrounds for the black stars, just to keep things interesting. Black sashings in between are 1 1/2" finished.
 I hand quilted all the stars. This is one of the first ones I did.
 Then I realized it needed more quilting, so I quilted a diamond inside the stars as well as the 1/4" inside the stars. Notice how there are a variety of orange fabrics. (I told you it was one of my favorite colors.) I think all these colors play nicely together, even though they're not all in the same hue. Color play is SO fun! I wanted lots of oranges to remind us it is really a Halloween quilt, then I added some purple, gray and lime green to keep it fresh and modern.  The yellows just keep it all balanced and contrasted so nicely with the black. I really loved putting all these fabrics together and watch them turn out as fun as I hoped they would.
 This pumpkin fabric is MyGirl's favorite. Now on to quilting the black in the middle and the orange binding, and it will be done. I have loved making this. Sunday night I threw it over my feet as I was listening to a devotional and its really warm too. It shall be a fun way to welcome in every October from now on.

No comments: