Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Easter Egg Table Runner

I learned something new about how to do applique that I thought was really simple so I'm showing the process here.

I started by sewing together some 2 1/2 inch squares. Then I made a paper pattern of an egg shape and traced it onto the Pellon fusible interfacing. The dots of the Pellon where the adhesive were I had facing the right side of the fabric. Then I just drew about a 1/4 inch seam around that. I sewed on the line I'd drawn from the pattern and then I cut the second outside line.

Here is a picture of the egg shape that has been sewed then cut out.
Then I took a seam ripper and gently cut open the center of the Pellon and then turned it inside out.
Here is a picture of one of the eggs where the process above has been completed.
Next came the easy part, ironing it onto my base piece of Kona Solid.  Note the large ric rac I put on top and when I ironed it, I made sure to tuck the edges under.  Then when each egg was ironed down, it made it really easy for me to hand applique the edges. I could have easily sewed them down but I like the look of hand applique and while I had something I wanted to watch on TV  I sat there and appliqued. I also took tiny stitches to hold down the rick rack also.
Next came making my quilt sandiwch with batting and a backing. I had fun quilting it after looking at a book with Angela Walters quilting done on it. This is similar to a common design she uses for quilting with her long arm but this was just free motion quilting done on my Bernina.
I used scraps for the binding, sewed that on and it was done. The size is 30 x 12 inches. Not too big. I could have made borders between the eggs to lengthen it, but I liked this smaller size for the center of my dining room table, where it will sit until April and then I will use the backside, until I put out something else.
This is similar to a pattern I saw on Pinterest made by Shabby Fabrics.  I credit them completely with the idea of taking scraps and making eggs although my pattern, the number and size of  the eggs, and quilting is completely different from the photo I saw.

No comments: